Skip to main content

Sylvie's Birth

On September 28th, my due date, I woke up at 2 and 3am to pee like all pregnant women.
   We lived in a small town in Maine and my husband's boss provided us a trailer on his property. We ran off propane for the stove and a generator for electricity. The plumbing didn't work so outside was our bathroom at the time.
   Anyway, neither time had any contractions. At 4am i woke to a mild contraction that felt different from your average Braxton hicks. I timed a few (5 ish minutes apart lasting 30-45 seconds.
  By 4:15 I woke hubby to tell him I was having labor contractions. He immediately began grabbing the supplies. We'd been warned by my midwife prior to our move that i was at risk for a speedy labor. I laughed at him at the time though, insisting we had plenty of time.
  By 4:30 our bed was covered in plastic ponchos (can't beat huge $1 ponchos) and a towel. Each wave took my breath away as I squatted beside the bed. It was then that I realized she was coming... soon.
   By 4:35 I had climbed onto the bed, yelling all the while at hubby for taking so long and not hurrying up to comfort me.  At this point it hurt pretty bad.  He was done probably minutes later when I told him firmly that she was coming. Thanks to the lack of epidural I could feel very clearly when she descended.
  My poor husband had to watch our daughters head appear and I expected him to be grossed out but instead he was thrilled! First her little head was out, then after a LONG 45 seconds, at 4:46am, Sylvie was officially born. She was perfect in every way. Hubby brags that he was the first person to ever touch her because "he delivered her" and even jokes he did all the work.  *continued at a later date*



Comments